Roofing Services: Installation and Shingle Replacement in Welland
The meticulous certified master roofers at Parent Roofing of Welland Ltd. enjoy a roofing challenge. Whether your roof is steeply sloped or in very bad shape, we repair or replace it with a long-lasting, attractive roof that will complement the exterior of your home. From shingle replacement in Welland to from-scratch installations, we do it all!
Our Roofing Process
Over the course of our 70 years in business, we have refined our roofing installation process down to a science. Here are the practices we follow during a roof installation or shingle replacement in Welland:
- Roof deck preparation: We remove and discard old asphalt shingles and underlayment and inspect the deck thoroughly for rotten spots, repairing those areas with the same thickness of wood.
- Ventilation: Good ventilation is essential for removing excess attic heat during the summer and excess water vapour during the winter. We provide and install a range of venting solutions.
- Ice and water protection: Because Niagara has a spring freeze-and-thaw cycle, we recommend this protection on every home in Welland and surrounding areas.
- Underlayment: We cover the entire roof with underlayment except for areas with ice and water membrane. We provide and install a range of synthetic underlayments to protect your home investment.
- Flashings: Most roofs have joints and breaks such as valleys, dormers, chimneys, vents, etc. We make sure that flashings are waterproof to avoid leakage at these danger points.
- Shingle installation: Here are the steps we undertake to ensure the shingle system meets and exceeds manufacturer’s standards of installation:
- Nailing: We distribute nails evenly along shingle nailing strips, with a minimum of 6 nails. We use galvanized and corrosion-resistant nails only.
- Positioning: We ensure the end joints are no closer than 2 inches from the fastener in the shingle below, and that side laps are no less than 4 inches in succeeding courses.
- Seal around flashings: Shingles are precision-cut around vents, flashings, valleys and side edges of the roof. We apply extra cement along the flashings within 3 inches of the edge of the shingles.
Finishing Touches and Cleanup
- Fastening: The bottoms of vents, chimneys, skylights and wall flashings are not to be covered by shingles to prevent ice and water damming. We cement the fasteners holding them down with high-grade roofing silicone.
- Clean-up: The vital last step of a properly installed roof is clean-up. We remove all debris from the site, leaving behind nothing but a new roof.
Your new roof will give you the peace of mind of knowing that your home– most likely your largest investment –will be protected throughout many Canadian winters. Whether you need a major installation or shingle replacement, give Parent Roofing a call.